Virtual Recap…Can I Become a Runner?

virtual races

As you can see from the picture above, I’ve run or walked a few virtual races in the past month.  Except for the the March Against ALS/Shamrocks for Shannon race.  That one is for next month, but I wanted to share a pic of the medal since it already came in the mail.

Last weekend my son and I did the virtual run for Kyle’s Krusade together.  When I told him Kyle’s story and why we were running for him he asked if we could do an extra mile for him.  I just love my kid.  I think it is important for us as adults/parents to teach our children to be humanitarians early on.  I want my son to think about others, their situations, and what he can do to help them rather than waiting for someone else to do it.  My grandparents taught me to help others at an early age, and it has stuck with me thoughout my life.  My son also wants to find more races for kids with cancer, so he can help them in some way.  We have the St. Baldricks Virtual Race race coming up in March to help children with cancer.

In the past few weeks I have also completed the Sandy Hook Memorial 5K , Chilly Cheeks Virtual 5K , and the Northern Lights 5K.  Now, I’m feeling a bit guilty about these “races”, because I didn’t really train or put my “all” into them.  I almost want to put them aside until I can really “run” them and be proud of my times.  I know this sounds pathetic, but I’m not happy with my running time for these races, and I want a redo.  Plus I have quite a few more virtual races this month and the next few months.

Actually, I’m not happy with my running period.  I’m frustrated that I can teach multiple Spinning classes a day totaling over 40 miles, and not be able to run a decent 3 miles.  I know part of it comes from having to run on a treadmill and not outside, but I still need to get my butt into gear.  Maybe I should pay some Girl Scouts to chase me with cookies.  That might motivate me a bit more.

93660867220325768_mgDRQofY_c

Since, I’m determined to run my first half marathon this year, and I need help, motivation, and someone to help me figure out my training schedule that will work with all the Spinning classes I teach, I have gotten myself a running coach/trainer.  Jen aka The Marathon Mom is my new running coach!  The poor woman has her work cut out with me.  We begin my quest to become a “happy” distance runner on March 1st.  I won’t lie to you…I’m nervous.  Mostly, I don’t want to let her down, and I don’t want to discover that somewhere along the line I stopped enjoying running (right now it is a chore).  Wish me luck!  I’m gonna need it.

Do you find that running becomes more “mental” than physical for you at times?

Don’t forget to enter the GIVEAWAY I have going on for an autographed copy of the New York Times Best Seller, The Fault in our Stars by John Green! Today is the last day to enter.  I could not put this book down once I started it!!  Honestly, it was such an amazing story!

Advertisements

20 thoughts on “Virtual Recap…Can I Become a Runner?

1. Gigi

I am a very slow runner so for me running is way more mental…once I get into a bad place in my head my run suffers. That is part of why I have a love/hate relationship for the virtual runs. I have done a bunch already and have a huge list still to go…I love them because I can do them when I can and it encourages me to get running more often…..but the more set distances I need to run when it doesn’t happen I get frustrated. If I was just running to run there would be no pressure. Plus I love that I am helping good causes too!

Does that make sense?

2. Kim @ Fabulous Fit Foodie

I have definitely found through training for the half marathon that I did last summer that the struggle was more mental than physical. Once you hit a point with running where you can run 5 or 6 miles, you start to feel like you can run forever. At least that was always the case for me. The first few miles were always the hardest and once I got through that “wall” I would feel great! The hardest part for me was not having a running buddy (my friend who did the race with me is much faster than I am) and having to drag myself out for my long runs alone, knowing I’d be gone for 2 hours or so. Good luck–you’ll rock it!

3. Jodi Tivey

OH dear sweet Andrea…be proud of those races…good or not. They are the stepping stones leading you down a bigger and better path that will show you how much you have improved!! Do not let them go by the wayside. Be proud of each and every one of them!! I am proud of you! and YOU inspire me!! I love that you are so honest about how insecure you feel with running…but don’t forget about how awesome the other activities you do are. I couldn’t do any of those!! And honestly, if you find down the road that running just isn’t your thing…so what?? You tried it again, you gave it what you could…and sometimes we just fall in love with new things to replace the old!!!

And yes….mental toughness is hard!!! I am a slow runner…but I do my best…and I still love running. It’s for ME. Not anyone else.

Thanks for being so true…and so inspiring!

1. fromfltond Post author

Jodi, you are just beyond the sweetest person. I wish we lived closer. You are such a great motivator. It is because of you that I actually go outside and do things this winter 🙂

1. Jodi Tivey

I wish we did too!! But…at least we have social media to keep us motivating each other!! That’s so cool that I have motivated you to go outside this winter!! YOU JUST MADE ME SMILE 🙂

4. MomRunsHalf

I completely know where you are coming from, I used to think the same thing. I completed my first half marathon in August after telling myself I would never do it. I was not good at running, I now love running and love love love my long runs the best, I am doing 2 half marathons this year. Good Luck and dont’ stress about your running, just run

5. Lisa @ RunWiki

Thank you again for donating, sharing and running in the Kyle’s Krusade Virtual race! I was working on the recap and prize post when I had a family issue come up, it should be up this weekend, I will link you up!

1. fromfltond Post author

I hope all is better with your family. We enjoyed running and walking for Kyle, and we are looking for more virtual races for individual children in need. It really moved my 7 year old, and he wants to keep helping kids by running. Thank you for putting together the 5K for Kyle!

6. CarliAlice (@CarliAlice)

Running is very mental for me because it’s not a strength. I also tend to put it on the backburner for my other training. Then when it’s race time I just go and hope it works out for me. I’m sure a good running coach will help significantly!

1. fromfltond Post author

I too have put in on the back burner while I’ve been working on my upper body strength, aerial yoga, and spinning. Not to mention I really suck at running right now, so I want to keep putting it off. I’ll let y’all know how the coaching goes!

7. Pingback: Kyle’s Krusade Race Recap